This estate has produced exceptional Riesling from its steep, ideally sited vineyards in the Mosel and Saar Valleys since 1561.
The Friedrich-Wilhelm-Gymnasium winery was founded in 1561 by the Archbishop of Trier to support a Jesuit high school (gymnasium) of the same name. The ancient Roman city of Trier is the cradle of German winemaking, and lies in the heart of the prestigious Mosel region. Through the centuries since, wine production from the vineyards helped to support the school, which still exists. Today the wine estate consists of 61 acres of superb vineyards, located on the steep slopes of the Middle Mosel and Saar – all dedicated exclusively to Riesling. Some of these elite sites have been farmed continually by the winery for three and even four centuries. Filigreed aromas and textbook Mosel structure, marked by elegance, fruitiness and stony minerality, are the hallmarks of the estate’s Rieslings.